Saturday, January 23, 2010

Second chance...

When I started this blog, I intended it to be about me. I quickly strayed from that original intent and ended up hurting a lot of people that I love.

So I'm going to give this another go. I had decided to end it completely, but I think I can do better this time. I'm only human and am prone to making mistakes. But I also learn from them...so here we go. Again.

Tonight I bought a scale, which is always a scary endeavor. I can't remember the last time I physically owned a scale...probably early college or late high school. The number the flashed wasn't nearly as scary as I thought it would be. Granted, I HAVE to pare that shit down...but still. I also bought a food scale. I'm not sure quite how to incorporate that into my daily life. I'm afraid that it will just sit idle on my counter (actually, my cat is fascinated by it, so I'm sure she'll get some use out of it, even if I don't). IF I have surgery, I will most definitely need to incorporate into life, since the banding procedure only allows a few ounces of food in the stomach at a time.

I contacted one of my friends from high school that had gastric bypass a few years ago to ask her how she geared up for the procedure. I know that I have a lot of lifestyle changing to do both pre- and post-surgery, so I wanted to see how she had prepared. She basically said that she just started attending a support group and that was pretty much it. I'd like to talk to some of the patients that have already received the Lap-Band at the MyNewSelf center and get their perspective. I think I will contact the nurse this week and see if she can put me in touch with any of them.

I also read some information online tonight about another reputable practice that does the banding procedure. They have free informational sessions, so I might try to hit up one of theirs, in addition to another one at Dr. M's practice. I just want to hear the pitch again, 6 months later, to see if it still hits the same chord it did last time.

Tomorrow starts my journey with Overeater's Anonymous. Hopefully. This is assuming that people actually attend the meetings and what not. I hope it works out. I think I could really benefit from having that support in my life.

I'll keep ya'll posted.

-H

No comments:

Post a Comment