Friday, January 29, 2010

Back in full swing

Since going to OA last week, I've tried to be a little more cognizant of why I'm eating at any given moment. As they say in OA, you should HALT. Are you eating because you're Hungry? Or are you eating because you're Angry, Lonely, or Tired? It's an interesting concept...so I've tried to implore it a bit. I think that was how I was able to put the animal crackers down the other day, after reading an upsetting email. I wasn't H. I was A, L, or T. Some people put a S on the end, to include sad/scared. I'm trying to remember to always HALT(S).

In taking this concept a little bit further, I'm trying to think about my triggers. I know they say to keep a food diary to look for patterns, but I have a pretty good sense that I really struggle with the late-night snacking. 10:30 or 11, especially on the weekends, is like prime "over-indulgence" time for me. So I've made a deal with myself to NEVER eat after 9pm. It is a LOT harder than I thought. Last night, I got home around 10pm. Even though I ate a small dinner around 7:30, my body was like "duuuude, you're starving!" But another thing someone mentioned at OA last week...is that no one EVER starves to death in between meals. So even if my body was telling me that I was "hungry" (even though I really probably wasn't), I should know that there is no possible way that I'm going to starve...so to just suck it up and wait until the morning. I was successful this time! But, boy, it's hard!

That's all for now. I'm going buddy grocery shopping on Sunday. I need an extra set of eyes on me, just in case I decide to walk down the ice cream aisle.

-H

1 comment:

  1. Proud. of. you.
    Miss. you.

    Sometimes, I get what I call "mouth hungry." My mouth feels like it should be eating, but the rest of me does not agree. Due to TMJ, I cannot chew gum; however, I've found sucking ice satisfies the craving. Weird, yes, but it's like I'm having an oral fixation moment, rather than a hunger moment, so it works.

    ReplyDelete