Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Some reading and writing

So I'm back on track with my sponsor...
And she's been on me about reading and writing and doing some reflecting.
So since I've done just that, I thought I'd share...

Step 1 of OA says that we admit we are powerless over food and that our lives have become unmanageable.

Well, I find this troubling because in social work, we're taught to see things from a strengths perspective.

So, what does it mean exactly to be powerless?
Can we be powerless and empowered at the same time?
I may be powerless over my eating, but I have to power to do something about it...
...I have the power to reach out for help
...I have the power to pick up the phone and call my sponsor
...I have the power to talk to a friend
...I have the power to attend meetings
...I have the power to read, write, and reflect
...I have the power to do service

I AM powerless over food.
My eating is out of control.
Food clouds my (almost) every thought.
But...
I feel empowered to do smething about it.

-H

No comments:

Post a Comment